Saturday, December 24, 2005

Day 1

The following 3 posts were taken from an MMA forum I visit which I originally posted these on. I've moved them to my blog now. I apologize for the paragraph loss, stupid blogger copy/pasting :( I'll slowly try to fix them slowly.

I'm back everyone!

If I make a typo here or there, it's cause it's hard to type.. hards and trembling :)

I got there, really scared.. was awkward because everyone knew each other and all had stuff to say to each other while we were waiting.. some stretched and skipped rope and did pushups while waiting.. I stretched for a while but I just started to look stupid after a while since I don't know how to stretch really. So I stopped. We waited for like 25 minutes then John the teacher was finished talking to some lady which held him up.

Man, it's all a blur, okay, so a few guys said hi to me and introduced themselves.. I'm SO bad with names though so I kept forgetting them and kept trying to remember them. We started out with the gloves and boxing... remember I'm 100% new to ALL of this so like I had to learn what a '1' and '2' and '3' and '6' etc. was.

It was difficult because the guy teaching me, Brandon (or was it Brendan) was going so fast.. it was information overload, but I thought I did decent trying to catch up. Man. boxing is such a mind game! So we took turns doing that for a while, and after that, my arms were dead! I coudl see my hand shaking if I tried to keep it still.. like it is now still a bit. And when I went to get my water bottle.. I was shaking it lol..

After boxing for 40 minutes or so, the teacher/submission/wrestling teacher today, Gerry, did like a Q and A session.. where students would ask a specific quesiton, and he'd go over it and we'd all pair up and practice it. The first one was one leg take downs.. man.. that was scary when they were taking me down.. I'm really tall and skinny and flexible and my leg was so high up, and they drove me into the ground.. after having that done to me a number of times, I was so tired, and I think I said I needed to get some water for a second.

Anyhow, I'll try to speed things up. So we did that, and we did side control techniques and a good choke submission from side control where you kinda switch to north south, and Brandon and the other guy (fuck whats his name again argh!) were real nice and were teaching me and showing me the ropes. since i was so new, they were teaching me everything.. armbars, RNC's.. which, btw are really scary when you're in them.. and stuff like that.

At about the 1 hour 45 minute mark, I was too pooped to continue and had to sit out for a while. But some of them like to keep rolling.. so the rest of the time we just rolled. I rolled with 2 guys.. Brandon and the i-forget-his-name-guy.. i think his name is martin... man.. rolling was the best part! You just kinda go at it.. instinct kick in and you just kinda fight for your life.. but many times I'd be in positions and just have no idea what to do.. I almost tried a possible armbar attempt at one point, but I don't have armbars good enough where I can just do them.. I have to think about them first lol.. then with Brandon, I had a RNC on him, and I was holding it TIGHT for about 15-20 seconds, and it was deep, but not deep enough, and I was SO tired after that I just let go and gave up lol..

My knees hurt like hell.. rugburn.. and elbows a bit.. and my arms are just dead weight.. hip hurts a bit too. But it's all good pain.

I'm definitely the smallest guy there.. by weight.. I'm like 140 lbs.. Brendan is i dunno.. 180? i-forget-his-name-guy is like maybe 155? but i have no muscles.. and so its good for me to roll with bigger guys.. will make me bigger and have to fight harder..

My goal next time is to last a tiny bit longer before gassing out and having to rest for a bit before continuing. But they went for 3 hours tonight... that's long no? haha long for me :P I know the pros do like 8 hours a day..

So.. to cap it off, it was definitely an experience. Some scary stuff there with the big takedowns and RNC's and stuff, but the guys were cool and I'm going again on Wednesday. I'm tired as hell but I'm gonna try to overcome that, and I'm gonna try to improve hard! I wanna be the skinny guy that worked hard and got decent.

Thanks to all those that encouraged me :)

P.S. After the first 5 minutes, I had forgot all about my jock strap/cup :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home